Sunday, September 20, 2015

Hello everyone

So hopefully everyone got on the email list because this is for everyone. 

First week has been awesome! I got here at the MTC and it was way disorienting because I was getting sent in all directions right after they had taken me from my family. It was nice because everyone welcomed me if they ever  saw me because all of the newbies get an orange dot known as "the dork dot" to signify that they're new. Pretty soon I got sick of it and put it on the back of my tag so I didn't constantly hear, "Welcome to the MTC!" My companion is Elder Webb and he's a great guy. What he lacks in attention span and life experience he makes up for in punctuality and enthusiasm. I also share a room with Elder Hicks and Elder Wright who are awesome as well and were just called as zone leaders. Elder Webb got called as a district leader so when they all go on meetings I have to go on splits with the other Elders in my district Elders Zollinger, Clark, Sotaus, and Henrie. They are all great elders and I like being around them.

Second day in class we learned about the enabling power of the atonement and my mind was blown! They told us so many things that I had never realized before and I felt the spirit so strong. We got our first investigator, Ashley, who was actually our teacher Sister Wrubbell (Daughter of Greg Wrubbell) acting as an investigator she had on her mission who was super receptive to the spirit and was amazing but moved to Billings Montana before she was baptized. Apparently her husband was Jehova Witness and hated the missionaries. Any way she was great and our lessons with her were great. Then suddenly a couple days ago we got new teachers and now we have a new investigator named Dreazo who is so dope! We commited him to baptism the first lesson. He was portrayed by our new teacher Brother Whiting who is awesome. But before we ever taught him something really cool happened and Brother Whiting and I did a role play for an example and he was the missionary and he told me to be Dreazo even though I never met him. So I took what I knew which was that he had moved her after being in a gang because his gang friend Nephi (inactive member) had moved here to change his life and played for a ticket. I prayed to know the desires of his heart and to portray him correctly and as we went on there were thoughts that filled my head that I knew were not my own. I know the spirit can work through all of us and that was such a faith builder. afterward Whiting said that I had portrayed him in such a perfect way. In addition to Dreazo we have an investigator Kai who is a way cool guy and he seems like a real investigator even though I don't know for sure and they won't tell me for sure. 

We watched this talk by Elder Bednar that he gave a few years ago here. Unfortunately you can't find it outside the MTC or I would want you all to watch it because it is truly life altering. It's about the character of Christ and he says the most amazing things about it and it just made me want to do so much good. It definitely got me excited about serving others and helped me remember that it is not about me but those I teach. There is so many things to tell you about my experience here but I'm having a hard time thinking of what actually matters. I have basically mastered foursquare and can destroy anyone at it. Not really but I can pretend. We went to the temple today and it was an incredible experience. P day is so great to just unwind. We have appointments with Dreazo and Kai tomorrow and I can't wait. I also have an appointment with a doctor to check on my stitches so I hope they're healing okay. Just so nobody worries the stitches are from getting cysts removed which are annoying things I get on me. I don't feel as bad about them anymore because Elder Wright has a giant one on his thumb the size of a grape. I guess cool people get them. 

The food is good and the days are long. Wish I could say more about my experience but I'm short on time and Elder Webb is wandering away (he does that.) Thank you for all your support! The packages and letters never cease to make me smile. Hopefully I'll have more in my email next week. I miss home especially today because I haven't had much to do.  I love you all and wish you luck! I know my savior lives and have felt his love so much in my time here.  

Elder S. Jackson Martin
Oregon Eugene Mission


 

No comments:

Post a Comment